Ignition Features and Ideas

How can we improve Ignition?

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

1. Folder-structure For OPC-UA Devices

It would be convenient to have an ability to but the devices in a folder tree. For example:
    Building A (Folder)
    HVAC-Contorller 1 (Siemens Device)
    HVAC-Controller 2 (Modbus Device)
    Building B (Folder)
    HVAC-Contorller 1 (Siemens Device)
    HVAC-Controller 2 (Modbus Device)
    Manufacturin Room 1 (Folder)
    Robot Control 1 (Siemes Device)
    Robot Control 2 (Siemes Device)
    Manufacturin Room 2 (Folder)
    Robot Control 1 (Siemes Device)
    Robot Control 2 (Siemes Device)

And so on.
    Could this be done with the device name, like: [Building B/Manufacturin Room 1/Robot Control 1]
    So the / -marker would be the folder seperator fot the device.

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. SFC chart scope variable display & autocomplete

The designer would parse the chart for references throughout the components to chart scoped variables and display them in the designer as well as provide autocomplete. This would greatly decrease both development time and bugs during development and production. Especially when charts get large.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Security Zone client tag

Add tag:
    [System]Client/Network/SecurityZone
    that gives the current Security Zone.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Add system.device.setDeviceProps function to change properties of a device (to communicate to Siemens 400H)

Up to version 7.9.2 the only function available to change device parameters is:

system.device.setDeviceHostname(deviceName, hostname)

This way, only ip address (hostname) of a device can be modified. It would be useful to have a function like:

system.device.setDeviceProps(deviceName, deviceProps)

to change other properties of a device.

This would be very useful to manage a redundant communication to a Siemens 400H changing parameters hostname (ip address) and rackNumber through scripting in case of a communication fault.

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Export windows in newest Ignition(i.e. 7.9.2) as an older version of Ignition(i.e. 7.7.5)

Say I’m working with the latest copy on my laptop (7.9.2) and I import a project from an older revision of Ignition (7.7.5), I have no problem.

As soon as I make a little change and export it back to the customer, he gets an error saying that he can’t import a project from a newer version of ignition.

Even though I didn’t use any new features of the 7.9.2 version of ignition, he still can’t import the one window I made changes to.

Is there a way to do this and have it check if there are any features…

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Excel plugin for historical query

Often to do reporting I have to go beyond the abilities of a reporting program, to accomplish this I use excel to query the database. iFix, FactoryTalk, and Wonderware all provide a plugin for excel to permit this.

A plugin for excel that would automatically span the auto generated tables for the Historical data, just like the functions that exist inside Ignition, would be very helpful.

As it currently stands, I either need to do some impressive scripting to union all affect tables and query the data from that union (something that will fail if the slightest thing is changed…

11 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Add a way to automate the project export on a schedule

The gateway has a method to automate the backup of gateway data. A way to automatically export projects to the same folder would be useful in a multi-designer environment.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. UDTs with nested UDTs: increase reusability of master parameters

As described in forum post (https://inductiveautomation.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=70&t=16813)

Nested UDTs with the same parameters as their parent. Parameter values of the nested UDTs within the parent UDT are set by default to their relevant parent's parameters.
    E.g.
    Nested UDT Parameter Value
    TankNumber {TankNumber}
    TankFarm {TankFarm}

When using the multi-instance wizard to create UDTs, despite having the default value set for the nested UDT parameters, you still need to enter in the parameter values for each and every nested UDT. This is incredibly time consuming as you can't simply copy and paste a table of values.

What I suggest is to…

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Turn Anti-Aliasing on by Default for All Objects

It's kind of annoying to have to click it on for every object, and I don't see why anyone would't want to have it turned on. It just looks better.

20 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. List Java version of clients

It would be nice if the Java version of the client could be displayed in the vision clients section of the Status page on the Gateway web page. This would make tracking down aging or obsolete versions of Java much easier since it would show the computer name and IP address right there.

I have run into instances where, after upgrading the gateway, some users clients no longer run because of a incompatible Java version. It would be very helpful to have a place to check that out before hand.

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Add IP Address to system.util.getSessionInfo function

It would be useful to determine if multiple sessions are running on the same host. It could also be used in determining what location a client is connecting from.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Active/un-active Gateway Licenses by commands.

We need to be able to Active/un-active online licenses using gwcmd in linux to deploy several server without the need to go to the website of each server.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Make the sub-border on pie charts editable.

Right now the outer border on pie charts is the only thing that is editable without scripting, and if you're placing it in a template then you can't set make the change you want onInitialize because templates have no onInitialize property.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Edit gateway scripts and webdev resources externally and publish/save with command line

Would be great to access scripts and webdev resources as direct files, external to designer. From there you could use a text editor of your choice, push to git etc. Being able to save/publish from command line would also compliment this nicely...

11 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Add New Icons

Please add more icons to the icon folders. This would reduce the amount of time it takes for users to search the internet for transparent icons to use. It would also add some nice consistency within Ignition.

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Add a "Wind Rose" Chart Component

A wind rose is a graphic tool used by meteorologists to give a succinct view of how wind speed and direction are typically distributed at a particular location.
    Using a polar coordinate system of gridding, the frequency of winds over a time period is plotted by wind direction, with color bands showing wind speed ranges. The direction of the longest spoke shows the wind direction with the greatest frequency.
    This would be a game changer for Avalanche forecasters at our Whistler Blackcomb Ski Resort as they need to draw this chart manually even though we have all the data in…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. User Directory For Saving Custom Data in Gateway Backups

Currently there is no good way for a 3rd party Ignition Module or for users to include additional data in Gateway Backups. Currently Ignition automatically includes all files in the user-lib/pylib directory in Gateway Backups. This is great for Python scripts. It would be really nice if there was a user folder that people could put custom data (like database schema files) into that would automatically be included in Ignition Backups.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Fully customizable gateway web page

- To be able to change the web interface of gateway
    - Hide the designer lunch button if no user logged
    - Must be the customization at the same level as a web page

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Please Add a Tag Count Feature in Designer that Shows How Many OPC Tags Have Been Selected to Be Copied to Tag Browser Folders

Would you please consider adding a Tag Count feature in Designer that shows how many OPC Tags you have selected to be copied or dropped into the Tag Browser folders or subfolders? This could be something as simple as a counter bar at the bottom of the status bar at the bottom of the Designer screen. Thanks in advance for this OFI.

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. 1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →