Ignition Features and Ideas

How can we improve Ignition?

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

1. Customizable user management screen

Option for disabling users(rather than deleting)
    Option to disable delete button.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. customizable on screen keyboard

Have customizable on-screen keyboard(size of keys and letters)

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Add Property on Template Repeater to Make First Row a Header

Add a new Property to the Template Repeater to set the first row of the Repeater to be a 'Header'.

This Header Row would always remain visible when scrolling through data. The concept would be similar to freezing panes, such as the top row of columns, in Microsoft Excel.

13 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Lockout gateway, designer and client access for multiple failed login attempts.

Looking at it from a security point of view, I would like to have options to lock out access to the gateway and designer if too many failed attempt to login. This can be reset from the Gateway Control Utility or a specified amount of time has pass. It would be nice to this built in for "client" or project access also - currently being done through scripts.

15 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Export tags from gateway

I have to open the designer to export tags. It would convenient if I were able to do this from the gateway. I like to backup the gateway, project, and tags before working on an Ignition project because the gateway backup is too encompassing when I only want to restore the tags for example. When it comes to backing up the gateway for us this means gateway, project exports, and tags independently. This gives is the most amount of flexibility to restore parts of the gateway if someone makes a mistake.

0 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Management of Max Age for a user password

For Security User Source:
    - add a login message to distinguish between wrong credentials from expired credentials
    - advice in advance for a password going to expire shortly

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. High DPI Scaling Java Option in JNLP File

Would it be possible to add a Gateway Setting option in the "Web Launch Settings" similar to the Disable Direct 3D?

This could place the following in JNLP files:
    <property name="sun.java2d.dpiaware" value="false"/>

Manually making this entry appears to work for high dpi monitors, TVs and laptops with Win10 and Java 8.

We have a large number of Ignition users that use a standard corporate IT PC image. This does not allow tweaking of Java resources or downgrading to Java 7. Creating customized JNPL files is problematic with a footprint of many gateways across remote sites.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Add protection at the folder level

As a systems integrator, we like the fact of providing an open design platform to our customers. On the other hand, in order to protect certain sections within Designer from being changed by unauthorized personnel, we like the ability to password-protect them. This is especially important when providing solutions under a warranty, which only we would be allowed to change.

We were searching for a way to accomplish this, and after some forum posts, we discovered that Ignition provides a way to protect individual scripts, windows and stored procedures.

We were intuitively looking at the folders, and never bothered looking…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Support for Siemens complex PLC Data Types/structures/UDTs via OPC UA

UDTs in the Siemens program are exposed in the address space as both a collection of nodes that can be read, written or subscribed to individually as well as a single complex DataType accessible in the value attribute of the parent of the collection of nodes in the address space that represent the UDT.

Currently, Ignition does not support accessing these complex DataType values. If implemented, the PLC Data Types can be reused as Ignition UDTs and linked with a single OPC-UA address.

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Manual in pdf or possibility to download web manual chapters in pdf

It might be I'm old fashion :-) but I like paper manuals where I can write my notes...

So release manual in pdf, please, please, please :-)

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Add comments/documentation to Window in Designer

Sometimes a window has uses a lot of hidden scripting or binding which can make it extremely difficult to troubleshoot. It would be nice to be able to add comments (documentation) directly into the window, that would only appear in the designer, to help explain eccentricities to future developers.

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Add modbus function codes 20 and 21 to the modbus TCP driver

I have some Honeywell equipment (DR4500 chart recorders) that require the use of Modbus function codes 20 and 21 to read/write to some of the configuration registers. Things like recipe data, setpoint programmer segments, programmer operating mode and more. Right now, I can't get to this data with the normal function codes, and when recipe data changes, or the desired operating mode changes, it has to be entered/changed by hand.

Honeywell tends to do this for other equipment of theirs too. Ignition would have a competitive advantage if support were provided as not many software packages have the ability to…

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Sort scan classes in the tag edit/create window

When creating or editing tags, the drop downs for scan classes do not sort them alphabetically. It is very difficult to scroll down through 100+ scan classes to find the one that is needed.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. modbus array

I would like the ability to read Modbus registers as arrays. This could be implemented similar to how the reading of strings (character arrays) is already implemented.

For example, If I have 10 consecutive registers that I need to read into an integer array tag, I could specify the OPC path "[Device]HR1000:10". This should also take into account the word size implied by the address designator to combine consecutive registers into larger words. For example, if I wanted to read 10 consecutive 32-bit (double register) integers (for a total of 20 registers) into an integer array tag, I would specify…

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. flash

Add Flash support for Web Browser Component.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Add the ability to rename a Scan Class without breaking the project

Currently if you make a Scan Class and use that Scan Class on tags, if you then go rename the Scan Class, all the tags using the Scan Class are broken. I should be able to rename a Scan Class and not break the link to the tags that use it.

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Exposing inner template instances in the Project Browser

In the Project Browser you can expand components down to template instances. When selecting a template instance from the tree view you can bind properties. It would be nice if you could expand template instances that are contained in parent template instances so that you could bind their properties directly from the tree view as well. Right now we have to chain properties to the parent templates.

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. SQL Tag / SQL property binding homogenization

Using SQL in client tags can be useful for holding information, but feels really wonky compared to the SQL property binding. I have two suggestions to make it a bit more uniform.

Add fallback value - Why does this not already exist?

Add refresh scripting function - I suggest system.tag.refresh(tagPath) to trigger a tag to run its SQL query again, similar to system.db.refresh()

As for the update writeback that the SQL property binding has, it is understandable to not put it on tags, but some may find it useful for completeness.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. SFC Monitor Transition Mouseover

Currently, when viewing a running chart in the Monitor Window, transitions display contents in boxes extending to the right on mouseover. This is very helpful, but on charts with transitions near the right side of the window, the mouseover display box extends off of the window truncating the display box. This needs to flip to the opposite side if it would truncate text, since this feature is useless on transitions near the right window edge and/or long conditions in the transition.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Distinguish duplicate window, template, or script names in the Ignition Designer

Two templates cannot have the same name. However, identically named templates placed in different folders can have the same name. This can lead to confusion in the Designer when these two templates are opened at the same time.

Most text editors out there will show an additional identifier when two files of the same name are open, this is usually the name of the parent folder.

For example, I might have a PLC folder in the global templates section. In this folder I could have a Create, Edit, and View template. I might also have a User folder in the…

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
← Previous 1 3 4 5 31 32
  • Don't see your idea?

Ignition Features and Ideas

Feedback and Knowledge Base