How can we improve Ignition?

Intelligently Rename Tags

One of the biggest problems I've had in Ignition is the lack of ability to rename tags, popups, templates and the like because all links to them are broken. Could a smart rename feature be created that would automatically change all links to a tag when it is renamed, or at least point to all the locations it is used so the user could easily change them? Thank you

21 votes
Vote
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
abaker@springfieldunderground.com shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

2 comments

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • asher.cornelius@ats-global.com commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The Find / Replace function is how these get renamed. Ignition resolves tags names as a string, not a hard linked object. This is in fact a strength of the platform, as most projects utilize some form of dynamic name generation (e.g. concatenating string and a binding).

The short coming of the Find / Replace is that it doesn't search through all areas of the platform equally well. UDT names are an example, SFCs are another. In general it's very good, but certainly not complete. I talked with a developer that said each module exposes its contents differently and it's up to that developer how well the find replace works.

That said, I agree and wish they could improve this function, as it is easy to break things. In my experience I just had to be more disciplined in my naming which has helped.

• ajdewhirst@prodova.net commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The ability to rename tags without breaking a project is a fundamental requirement. Tags should probably have an id number that the system uses for reference, then the tag name becomes decoupled from the tag identifier used by the system,

Feedback and Knowledge Base